This is NOT your mother’s tuna casserole! We promise this is a hit in every household we had test the recipe! The recipe comes from GardenInTheKitchen.com and we are sharing this with everyone thanks to it’s creator, Silvia Ribas! Silvia is a busy mom or two daughters who specializes in healthy recipes that everyone loves and that can be made within 30 – 45 minutes.
Preparation suggestions: Use the largest and deepest skillet that you have and mix all the ingredients in a very large bowl before pouring into your casserole baking dish.
- 12 oz medium egg noodles
- 3 5oz Solid White Albacore Tuna / 3 cans
- 1 cup carrots, cubed ((Use fresh or frozen!)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or if you love garlic, use a little more!)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese – shredded
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (or you can use breadcrumbs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley -optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots, and sauté for about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, peas and corn, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 more minute. Whisk in the chicken stock until it is combined, then stir in the milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper and tuna. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add cooked egg noodles to the tuna and veggies mixture, and toss to combine. Stir in the cheddar cheese until it is evenly combined.
- Pour the tuna and veggie noodles into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese or breadcrumbs. Place dish on the top rack of the oven and cook for about 25 minutes or until the top layer of noodles begins to turn darker.