- Cooking spray
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 2 ounces fat-free cream cheese (cut into pieces)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted, mashed with a fork)
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped pickled jalapeños (drained)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bell pepper and onion for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the bell pepper is tender and the onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Cook the tomato for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it releases its liquid. Stir in the cream cheese. Cook the vegetable mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cream cheese has melted. Remove from the heat. Transfer the bell pepper mixture to a small bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites with a fork.
- Wipe the pan with paper towels. Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray. Cook the egg mixture over medium-high heat, or until the eggs are scrambled, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Spread the avocado over each tortilla. Top with the vegetable mixture and scrambled eggs. Garnish with the cilantro and jalapeños.
Cooking Tip: The tortillas can be baked and stored in an airtight container for up to two days.
Keep it Healthy: Using a combination of whole eggs and egg whites for scrambled eggs is a good way to lower the saturated fat in the dish without sacrificing flavor. A small amount of fat-free cream cheese adds creaminess.
Tip: Triple the amount of vegetables in the recipe. That way, you’ll have plenty available to combine with whole-wheat pasta or ground skinless turkey breast for a quick lunch or dinner.