There is plenty of reason to have Breakfast for Dinner – especially when it is a French Toast Casserole! Sarah Melamed put her personal cooking skills to the task to adapt this delicious recipe for French Toast Casserole. She reports that this recipe will work with any type of milk you have on hand, BUT if you use skim decrease the amount to 2 cups and add 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
She has also experimented with adding the rolled oats to the topping and suggests leaving them out for your first attempt at the recipe to determine whether you might want to add them on a second attempt.
Preparation suggestions: Plan ahead and let the casserole ingredients soak tightly covered overnight in your refrigerator.
- 1 loaf of crusty bread (sourdough or French). The staler the better!
- 8 eggs
- 2.5 cups of Almond Milk (or you can use whatever milk you have except skim. See above if using Skim).
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs of vanilla
For the Top
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar – packed
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dash of Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 stick of butter cut into small pieces
- Syrup with a dash of cinnamon and vanilla extract added
- Optional topping fruits (blueberry, raspberry or strawberry)
- Optional topping of chopped nuts
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with butter. Cut bread into cubes and add to casserole dish
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over the bread and cover tightly. Put in refrigerator overnight – or as long as you can!
- Make topping in a large bowl. Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, rolled oats and nutmeg. Mix in butter pieces until the topping resembles small pebbles. Store in the refrigerator in a Ziplock bag until you are ready to bake.
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 350
- Spread the crumbly topping over the bread mixture in casserole dish. Try to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes for a pudding French toast or about 1 hour for a crispier casserole.
- While it bakes gently warm syrup and add cinnamon and vanilla.
- Serve casserole cut into squares topped with syrup and berries and/or nuts.